Credit reporting privacy notification and privacy statement
This Credit Reporting Privacy Notification and Privacy Statement applies to current
and former credit customers of Hastings Deering (Australia) Limited ABN 49 054 094
647 (HDAL, or we/us/our) and its related entities
within Australia, as well as to other relevant individuals we deal with in connection
with credit we provide (such as guarantors and directors).
This Credit Reporting Privacy Notification and Privacy Statement applies in addition
- make a request to us for access to personal information (including credit information)
we hold about you;
- make a request to us to correct personal information (including credit information)
we hold about you; and
- make a complaint to us about our handling of your personal information and how we
will deal with a complaint.
1. Collection of Personal Information
We collect personal information including your name, date of birth, contact details,
company address, bank account details and driver’s licence number.
We collect this information from you in a number of different ways, including through
your completed Credit Application, our interactions with you, public sources and
third party credit reporting agencies. We also collect personal information from
recruitment agencies, online plant and equipment hirers, auction houses and market
research and communications companies.
The purposes for which we collect your personal information may include:
- verifying your identity;
- contacting you (including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail,
by phone or in any other lawful manner);
- providing you with our products or services;
- assessing and processing your credit application or your application to guarantee
credit applied for by another person;
- investigating and dealing with suspected fraud or unlawful activity; and
- our administrative purposes including credit scoring, research, planning, service
development, security and risk management.
If we are not able to collect personal information about you, we may not be able
to provide you with products, services and assistance to the extent that they require
us to collect, use or disclose personal information (including assessing and progressing
your Credit Application).
2. Use and disclosure of personal information
We may also share your personal information to our related bodies corporate and
to third parties, including:
- our related bodies corporate: Austchrome Pty Ltd, Hastings Deering (PNG) Limited,
Hastings Deering (Solomon Islands) Limited and Caltrac SAS (a New Caledonian company);
- Caterpillar Inc. (for marketing and promotional purposes);
- third party service providers we use in conducting our business (including archival,
auditing, debt collection, banking, insurance, marketing, advertising, mailhouse,
delivery, recruitment, customer contact, technology, data processing, research,
investigation, utility, professional advisory (legal, accounting, financial and
business consulting) and security services); and
- if you apply for credit (or a company of which you are a director applies for credit,
or you propose to guarantee credit applied for by another person), we will collect
from your personal information and disclose your personal information (and other
information you provide in connection with your credit application) to other credit
providers, trade referees and credit rating service providers. See below for more
information regarding our disclosures to credit reporting bodies.
3. Disclosure to Credit Reporting Bodies
Where the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) permits
us to, we may disclose your personal information (including credit information)
to credit reporting bodies.
We currently disclose personal information to:
- Veda Advantage Limited
Level 15, 100 Arthur Street
North Sydney NSW 2059
Phone: 1300 762 207; and
- Dun & Bradstreet (Australia) Pty Ltd
Level 2, 143 Coronation Drive
Milton QLD 4064
Phone: (07) 3360 0600
You can obtain a copy of Veda Advantage’s policy about its management of credit
reporting information. To do so, please contact them or visit their website at http://www.veda.com.au.
You can obtain a copy of Dun & Bradstreet’s policy about its management of credit
reporting information. To do so, please contact them or visit their website at http://dnb.com.au.
Credit reporting bodies may include the information provided by us in credit reports
provided to other credit providers to assist them to assess your credit worthiness.
The credit we provide is commercial credit. However, you should remember that if
you fail to meet your obligations in relation to consumer credit provided by other
credit providers, or if you commit a serious credit infringement in connection with
consumer credit, the relevant credit provider may be entitled to disclose that information
to credit reporting bodies.
4. Overseas disclosure
Some of the third parties to whom we disclose your personal information (including
credit information) may be located outside Australia. The countries in which these
third parties are located will depend on the circumstances. However, in the course
of our ordinary business operations we commonly disclose personal information to
third parties located in Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, Malaysia, China, Hong Kong,
Singapore, Solomon Islands, New Caledonia, China and the US.
You have the right to:
- request us to give you access to the personal information (including credit information)
we hold about you;
- request us to make a correction to the personal information (including credit information)
we hold about you; and
- make a complaint to us if you are concerned that we have not complied with our obligations
that apply to dealing with credit information under the Australian Privacy Principles
contained in the Privacy Act.
6. Opting out of direct marketing pre-screening
A credit reporting body may use your credit reporting information to assist a credit
provider to market to you by pre-screening you for direct marketing by the credit
provider. This process is known as a “pre-screening”. If you do not want a credit
reporting body to use your information for the purpose of pre-screening, you have
the right under the Privacy Act to contact them and request that they exclude you
from pre-screening (at no cost to you).
7. If you are a victim of fraud (including identity fraud)
You are entitled under the Privacy Act to request that a credit reporting body not
use or disclose credit reporting information they hold about you in circumstances
where you reasonably believe that you have been, or are likely to be, a victim of
fraud, including identity fraud. The period while this applies is called a “ban
period”. The credit reporting body will explain to you in more detail the effect
and duration of a ban period when you contact them.
If you have any questions about this Credit Reporting Privacy Notification and Privacy
Statement, please contact:
Hastings Deering (Australia) Limited
973 Fairfield Road
Telephone: (07) 3717 2271