Caterpillar D6 (1942)
The first D6 (RD6) was manufactured in Peoria, Illinois, USA in 1935 and the D6 model still continues today with over 200,000 D6 tractors manufactured!
This tractor is a 5R series and these were manufactured in Peoria, Illinois, USA in 1941 and continued through to 1947 with a total of 5515 machines manufactured during those 6 years.
Weighing 12 tons it was a very versatile tractor and was extremely popular during the 1940’s/50’s for constructing roads, clearing timber to develop the land, building dams and snigging logs in the timber industry.
If operating in normal conditions this tractor would use approx. 4.5 gallons or 18lts of diesel per hour.
The following specifications are for the 5R series tractor:
Engine - D468 series
6 cylinder diesel engine
468 cubic inch capacity (7.7lts)
Bore 4.25 inch and Stroke 5.5 inch
72hp (54kw) at the flywheel
65hp at the PTO
Pilot Motor (starter motor)
2 cylinder petrol engine
Transmission – Manual Direct Drive
5 x Forward gears
4 x Reverse gears
Fuel Tank Capacity - 48 US Gallons (approx. 180lts)
Crankcase Oil Capacity - 19 Quarts (approx. 18lts)
Transmission Oil Capacity - 38 Quarts (approx. 40lts)
Final Drive Oil Capacity - 12 Quarts (approx. 12lts) for each
Cable controlled blade / Weighs 12 tons / Narrow Gauge 60 inch